Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Park and Lake at Sunset

This weekend, Dave and I went on an adventure to our favorite park and then on to the lake. The sun was just going down by the time we reached the water.

I know that a lot of people take sunset pictures and that they are really "overdone" as far as photography is concerned. But being there at the lake to experience this sunset was just amazing. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I hope you can at least get an idea of the beauty we were able to experience.

Duck pond at the park.


The sky and water were the same pink and blue colors. It felt like there were two skies.


Love of my life.

I hope that the spring weather sticks at last and Dave and I can get outside more often!

At the lake, Dave and I took a calm walk down by the water. Many people were out fishing, and one guy even offered us the fish he'd caught. Although I've been fishing before, I don't exactly know how to gut or fillet a fish, so we kindly refused. Nice of him to offer, though.

We walked out a little further and more and more people were fishing. As we reached a certain area, we heard music playing. After a few moments, we realized that one of the cars was playing really, really loud music, and the lyrics were really, really racist. I turned to Dave and was like, "Uh, wow. Are these people serious?" I was a little surprised that no one else around us seemed to care. Instead of getting closer to some anti-black rally or whatever, we headed off in the other direction.

Maybe I'm naive, but...I guess I thought that kind of racism was dead, that people were all generally accepting of others. It's the person that matters, right? Not the stereotype that is given to them by others. Race, class, gender, religion, education level, outward appearance...so many things will cause others to pass judgment that is not necessarily fair. People are meant to be unique. What if we were all exactly the same?

Enough of my emotional vomit. Well, at least the lake was really pretty :)

4 comments:

Sharla said...

Those are beautiful sunset shots... sort of surreal! I'm glad the weather is getting better up there so you can enjoy nature!

J said...

That kind of racism is still alive and well. So sad. I don't get it. Glad you enjoyed the lake though. You got some great shots of you and Dave.

Chandelle said...

I love that first one. Beautiful!

I've had similar experiences riding the train recently, having to listen to people spout off racist or homophobic comments almost every time. It's very frustrating to just sit there and be exposed to it and not have the courage to speak out against it. I'm hesitant to take my kids on the train anymore because I feel like it's getting worse; I hear it almost every day. Headphones come in handy, but I hate to feel like I'm blocking out the world. :(

Sheltielady said...

Beautiful Sunset pics - nice job.
It is always good to have a minute to stop and enjoy the beauties of our earth.

Unfortunately I can tell you that racism may actually be getting healthier. Sad commentary on the state of affairs.