Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Before 30

Someday, I'm going to turn 30.

I think most people consider this to be a major milestone in life, but it makes me a little bit nervous. I'm not saying that 30 is exactly old, since it's not at all. Really, that's not my point. I guess I'm saying that 30 is when I think of REALLY being grown up, being responsible, being mature. You're not in your carefree, partying 20s anymore. You're...30. It's not a bad thing at all. It's just different.

Anyway, I am going to turn 25 soon. That means 5 more years until the big three-oh.

I started to make a list of goals the other day, just for the heck of it. It just started as a list of a few things I wanted to accomplish in the very near future, like graduating with a Bachelors degree or going on a cross-country road trip (hopefully!). But the list kept expanding, and as it did I began to wonder when I shoiuld plan to have all of the goals on this list accomplished. The number 30 just popped into my head, and so that's what I decided on.

There are nearly 40 items on this list now. Some of them are silly, others personal, and a few quite serious and important. I don't know why exactly I started the list in the first place, but I keep thinking that making these goals will help me to live a more fulfilling and meaningful life, to try new things and hopefully expand my abilities. I'm not usually good at keeping goals, but I hope that with each one that I check off I'll feel more motivated to continue on to another, and another, and another.

Five years...that's a long time, and I hope these years are full of learning and adventure.

2 comments:

Chandelle said...

You should totally share your list. C'mon, inquiring minds want to know. ;)

I think that's a good idea, creating a list like that. On the one hand it seems like it could be depressing, if you put a lot of things on there that are out of reach and then the years go by and nothing gets crossed out. But if you put things on there that are attainable, like that degree and that trip, it could be a good measure of your life, that you're really doing what you want to do and not just trudging along.

J said...

This is inspiring. What a great way to put things into perspective and focus on what's really important in your life. I hope when 30 rolls around you can look at your list and feel satisfied with how much you've accomplished. Good luck!