Wednesday, February 6, 2008

History of our relationship, Part 2


11. What does your ring look like?
Well, the ring I wear now is entirely different than the one I had when we first got married. Being the poor young couple that we were at the time (and given the fact that we were scrimping on everything about the wedding already)it only made sense that the ring would receive the same sort of treatment. In my mindset, the ring (as well as the dress) was trivial and was not important to spend money on. I just needed something that would do the job for as little money as possible (I really regret that I felt that way... sigh.) There was some wisdom to that way of thinking, though. I mean, I personally couldn't justify spending so much money on a piece of jewelery that it actually requires payments to be made on it. I thought, "I'm not going to pay money for a ring that should be going towards rent or something!" ANYWAY, this isn't answering the question. Basically what we did was go to Wal-Mart and pick out rings for less than $100. Yeah. I liked the ring and all, but I always wanted something a little... nicer. So after almost 2 years of marriage (and after losing weight steadily for that amount of time), when I found that my ring was just too big, I hinted to Dave that I really wanted a new ring. Well, I more than hinted :) I knew exactly what I wanted: a white-gold ring with both diamonds and some other kind of precious stone. I looked at many options, and fell in love with a gorgeous ring with a diamond as the centerpiece (a much larger stone than the old ring) and two small sapphires on either side. it didn't hurt that it was on sale, too :) Dave got it for me and surprised me with it during a night-time drive in the mountains.

12. Do you have pet-names for each other?
Sweetheart, baby, babe, love, princess... there are a fair few.

13. What’s your favorite thing to do together?
We really like to relax together. We are perfectly content to spend the day at home with each other, playing video games or watching movies or doing art projects or whatever. We are also just thrilled to hang out with friends and family, go on random driving "adventures," go for walks, go to movies, out to dinner, etc. We are just like best friends...we kind of hang out and do whatever seems fun at the moment.

14. Do you show affection in public?
Yes, for sure. We aren't afraid to kiss or hug in front of people, no doubt making them feel vastly uncomfortable. But we aren't that bad about it.

15. When did you know you loved each other?
I was really into him from the beginning, but didn't want to tell him. But it wasn't love, yet. After spending more and more time together I really fell for him, but I still wasn't sure I should tell him. After all, he was about to leave on a mission. So I held it in until the 4th of July, 2003. Dave and I went together to watch the fireworks in P.G. We had jumped into his car and drove toward the highschool, but hadn't bothered to put shoes on first. We walked barefoot toward the fireworks and lay directly under them. I recall thinking, as we lay in the grass, that I wished he would make a move, like put his arm around me or hold my hand. He would later tell me that he wished the same thing. But neither one of us were gusty enough. Once the fireworks were through, we started walking around the park and talked. Soon all the crowds were gone, but we hung around. We ended up in the elementary school playground by the highschool. As we walked barefoot through the grass, Dave told me that he had a secret. I must admit, I had a feeling of what it was, but I played dumb. He told me to guess, so I did, offering stupid answers like he had a terminal illness or he was a superhero or whatever. Finally he gave in, and told me that he liked me...REALLY liked me. I told him that I felt the same. It was an awesome rush to finally have it out in the open.

1 comment:

J said...

i'm glad you posted these too! i enjoy a good love story. hey, i also really dig your new ring!