Sunday, February 3, 2008

We don't live in a perfect world, you know!

This week, I brought my thumb USB drive to school to print something in the computer lab. For the first time, I actually did what I always feared I would and left the thumb drive in the computer. I realized 2 hours later what I had done, and rushed after my last class to the lab to retrieve the device, sure it would be there amidst my worst-case-scenario fears.

First I glanced at the computer I had used, but it wasn't there. I asked for it at the desk...but they could not find it! They told me to check the main lost and found, so I did. Nothing. Well, I shouldn't say nothing...there were TONS of USB drives in that lost and found. TONS. In retrospect, I suppose I could have taken my pick of lost drives and had that be the end of it, but my conscience just wouldn't allow me to do it. (Curse you, conscience!!)

At that point, I had to come to terms with something--someone had stolen my thumb drive. Yeah, so everyone gets stolen from at some point. But I guess it mad me a little more annoyed simply because my NAME and PHONE NUMBER were on the drive. If someone had a single spark of human kindness in them, they would return the drive (which, by the way, thankfully had nothing on it but a poem and some wedding pictures) and I would thank them and everyone would be happy. But they didn't--they took something that didn't belong to them, even though they had no justification for it.

I know everyone has stolen something in their life...maybe that person who took my drive really needed it more than me. But it still ticks me off. I even waited a week for a call, just in case... ha. Knowing I've been robbed is also a little hurtful. Just a little. You know?

Well, I bought a new thumb drive this weekend, and hopefully I can manage to keep track of this one a little better.

I know it's no big deal...stuff happens. But it still bothers me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

it feels like a violation, no matter how small it is. i hope you had your pictures and poem backed up on your hard drive.

kathy said...

Sorry about the theivery. This is NOt a perfect world! Just yesterday, Jenny and I were in the car waiting to back out of a parking space, and we saw a guy totally attack this other guy in the parking lot. It was scary.