Tuesday, September 18, 2007

They don't make 'em like they used to...


We have been married for a year and 9 months now, and we have just gone through our 5th can opener.
What's more pathetic--that I keep buying crappy manual-turn can openers and assume they will work for more than a few months, or that I can't seem to throw any of them away once one breaks and I get a new one?

You know...when you spend money on something, regardless of what it is, you expect a certain level of quality. You assume that it will do what it was designed for, not break with only a few uses. I'm pretty much tired of the "throw away" mentality of products these days. Sure, it costs less, but it isn't worth buying if it isn't going to work. See that can opener on the left with the orange handle? Before Dave and I started using it, it had been in my family (and working perfectly) for at LEAST 10 years. The other ones in the picture? None lasted more than six months each.
(yes, I am going to throw the broken ones away now...I just hate tossing something in the garbage because I hold this strange belief that it might magically start working again..heh, or I just forget :) I think we'll try an electric can opener this time around.

Anyway...here is something really cool:


Dave designed and made this paper towel holder for us! I had been wanting to buy one like this and never found one I liked, and Dave said "I could make that!" So on his breaks at work, he used some scrap wood and made this! I love it :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.