Friday, October 26, 2007

Karen's B-Day, #23

(philosophical/reminiscent crap)
I don't remember the exact moment I decided that I wanted to stop getting older. I mean, you spend your childhood and most of your teenage years wanting to grow up, but then there's a distinctive barrier that stops that way of thinking at a particular point of your life. I believe it is when you realize that it's time to be a grown up, not look forward to being one.

I really had a hard time when I turned 20. I think that's when I hit my barrier and realized I wasn't a teenager anymore, and that I had no excuse for holding on to it anymore. Maybe I felt like I had wasted so much time during those years, and when I finally started having fun with them I was nearly an adult. So when age 20 hit, I was pretty unhappy and had a depressing time with it.

Since then, I've been mostly okay about birthdays.

Yesterday I turned 23 years old. It honestly doesn't feel special. It's not a landmark age or anything. I don't feel old, I'm just a "twenty-something" and I'm cool with that. I still miss the teenager stuff once in a while...like the carefree lifestyle and the friends and the ease of life with all of these opportunities spreading out in front of me. I should have taken advantage of that more than I did.

Anyway, I'm happy now, so it's all good.

(my birthday)
Yesterday was pretty much a normal day, but there were some special people who helped to make it awesome. I woke up to find that Dave had made an adorable (yet random) background for the computer that said "Happy Birthday!" for me. I had to go to school, but it was a pretty good day and Dave kept calling and leaving messages on my phone saying "happy birthday" to me and it made me feel special. I got some texts and facebook messages from other people as well, wishing me a happy day. After school I met with Jana and she took me shopping. That was fun, as always, but she bought a shirt for me as a present. :) I also saw my other sister Larissa. She had paid for my ticket to the Muse concert as my birthday gift, and seriously--what an awesome gift that was!

After that, Dave and I met up at home and I opened the package that had come in the mail from my parents. Imagine my shock when I discovered a pink digital camera inside! I wasn't expecting that! I was so excited! Dave helped me learn how to use it and it was great fun for all.

It sucked to go to work, but as soon as it was over Dave was there to pick me up and he took me out to dinner. I picked The Training Table because I really wanted some of those cheese fries! When we were done, Dave took me for a drive. It was supposed to be a surprise but he kind of got lost. He wanted to show me the city lights of our city from the other side of the lake but he couldn't find the spot he was looking for. We were sort of let down but then I said, "Come on, let's just get some sodas and eat the cake" (yes, he even make a cake for me!). So that is what we did. And it was sweet.

Here are some pictures we took while messing around with my new camera.

(these ones aren't so great because of the flash, but this camera takes amazing pictures!)

Dave's gift for me won't be here for a couple of weeks...but I am really excited about it :) (I swear I'm not greedy about presents or something....it's my birthday--I'm excited, that's all!!)

2 comments:

Larissa said...

Happy Birthday, dearie! I am sorry I was so weird yesterday. it was just a really off day. I am totally good today and ready to have a great time with you guys tonight! yaaaay!

Karen said...

Thank you! It's been fun! Last night rocked.