Friday, October 19, 2007

Meaning in Life

For one of my classes, we have been reading Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. Yesterday in class we had a discussion about the book, talking about various aspects of it and thinking about the important points.

One of the last questions we discussed was "what is the meaning in your life?" I'm sure everyone can answer this question without too much trouble. But as I sat in class and listened to some of the answers, I started wondering. In his book, Frankl discusses the things that make us want to keep going through the hard times, the things that are most important and make life worth living. For the people in his concentration camp who literally had nothing left but their own bodies, sometimes this was simply a memory of someone (who was most likely dead), or a single hope for the future (although they were unlikely to have one, since they would probably die before they were liberated). For others it was related to their work and jobs. It could even be a material thing, like a home or car. But the people who were liberated found that, once they were ready to return to their 'old lives,' they no longer existed. The people they had loved were dead, their possessions gone. So much of what had given them hope for the future wasn't there anymore. Imagine realizing that. What would you do then? It would be so shocking to find that what had given you a reason for living for so long, what staved off death, wasn't there. You would have to start completely over.

This brought up the idea that you shouldn't stock all of the meaning in your life in one thing. This seems strange, but if you put all of yourself into one thing you will be devastated to lose it. I don't think this means that you shouldn't love someone with all of your heart, or work really hard for a single important goal. I just think it means to find meaning in many parts of your life.

By the end of class, I was really thinking, "Where do I find meaning in my life?" This was on my mind for much of the day. What in my life is so important to me that it actually creates a reason for me to live from day to day? What makes it worthwhile? For me, it is really people more than anything else. My husband, my family, my friends--they are all more vital to me than anything else I can think of. But beyond that, it has been a little tough to decide what really, really matters.

I do have goals, but many of them seem flimsy to me right now as I think about them. For instance, I want to be a writer, but who knows if that will pan out the way I dream it will. I've worked long and hard for my English degree, but other than a piece of paper I don't know what it will get me. I haven't found complete fulfillment in many areas of life, and I honestly don't know how. What do I want to do for a career? How far do I want to go in school? I have glimpses of ideas and crazy dreams, but when it comes down to it what am I actually passionate enough about to go through with it and actually reap the benefits?

I think that this epiphany has led me to realize that, in some ways, I have been living a life rather void of direction for a very long time. I mean, generally I know what I want, but I don't have goals. Real, possible, realistic goals. Dreams and hopes are not enough. I need to act instead of follow little streams of inspiration here or there that eventually taper off into nothing.

I'm not trying to discount the things I do have, like my friends and family, and above all my awesome husband. Together we have goals for the future, like plans for our life (his teaching job, our kids, buying a home, etc). But as far as goals for my personal fulfillment go, there's not much. Does that make sense? It sounds selfish, but everyone needs to be sometimes, about things like this. The question is, what do I want to get out of life, and what can I, personally, put into it to make it the best it can be?

The first thing that comes to mind is to really get into my writing. I want this, I just haven't been taking it seriously enough. I need to write a novel, and try to publish it. That's a goal for me...it has been for a while, but now I think it is really important for me to do it--to find more worth within myself, and meaning. Maybe, through this, I can find my true life's calling.

I also think I should try to learn new things. I am always afraid of taking risks and failing at things, but life is too short to think that way anymore. I could learn a musical instrument or work on a new talent. I could take a completely random class next semester just to see if I'd like it (like business or astronomy). I could try something I've always been afraid to do.

I know I won't do most of those things, but lately I have been desiring to add meaning to my existence. It just seems so vital right now.

If you have been reading this, feel free to comment and answer the question, "Where do you find meaning in your life?" I am truly interested to see what you have to say.

4 comments:

Sheltielady said...

Those are some seriously deep thoughts you have going through your mind these days Karen. Good for you. I have always felt that in order to grow we should step away from the everyday and take a look at ourselves and our lives now and then.

Finding the meaning in your life is often easier if you actually back up and try and look at your life from the outside. It's kind of like being able to see the entire forest better from a distance than from when you are standing in the middle of all the trees. Sure, IN the forest you get to see all the details, but outside the forest you get to see the forest as a whole, complete and beautiful.

Our lives are like this I think, we get so caught up in each little detail of them that we forget we are living whole lives, not just individual experiences or small moments. Those count too, of course, but seeing the big picture is one of those 'wow' take your breath away things.

Good luck in your explorations, and don't forget, the things that have the most meaning in your life can and do change. As Michelangelo said "True artists are never finished with their work"!

Sure love ya, Mom B

Larissa said...

For me, my life has gained more meaning and become more unique as I have stepped away from the things I am "supposed" to do and looked at the things that I actually want to do. If I am doing something that I do not find meaningful or enriching or enjoyable I think "ok, something is wrong here. What should I do?" And sometimes that means changing direction. Consistent meaning has come from family, friends, and most of all from Brian. But those things are like wonderful supplements to my life. They support me in my directions and give me guidance but ultimately I feel like I am in control of my life and my happiness. I think it is important to feel good and right about who you are. To be true to who you really are and work towards the unique things you can do to enrich your life and the lives of those around you.

My goals have changed a lot over the past few years but I feel they have changed for the best and I am honestly happier now than I have ever been in my entire life! I think it is because I am myself and I am figuring things out on my own and finding my own way. It is difficult at times but it is working out wonderfully for me and it is amazingly rewarding..

Anyway, I hope I don't sound too lame. I loved that book and I should read it again sometime.

See you later! <3

Karen said...

Thank you both for your comments. They are truly inspiring!

Unknown said...

i second stepping away for a while. i think it's really productive to pare down your life occasionally and look at all the extraneous things that keep you from living your inspiration. i think all too often we worry about social propriety as well, forgetting that in the end, we're the only ones who are going to care or who are truly affected at the most basic level by the way we choose to live our lives. i think that few things in life are worth doing unless they really scare you and require great sacrifice and the potential of devastating failure. this is why we leave our families, get married, have kids, and try to live our dreams. it's always worth the effort, even if it doesn't work out the way you planned. don't worry if you feel without direction right now; you're always on the path, even if you rest for a while.