Tuesday, November 13, 2007

My Relationship to Food

Chandelle tagged me with this in her food blog, so I'll do my best to respond. I don't know if I can get 10 things, though...

10 weird facts about my relationship to food


1. I hate, hate HATE mayonnaise. It is, in my opinion, the most vile and disgusting food-like creation, and I'd prefer a thousand dry sandwiches to ever using mayo. The only way to get me to eat it is to mask the flavor. For instance, I will, on occasion, indulge in fry sauce, but only because the mayo is mixed with ketchup and I can't taste the stuff.

2. I am obsessed with the expiration of food. Anyone who knows me well is probably aware that I am a freak about food that has been in the fridge for too long. My time limit is usually 2 days after the food was made, and on packaged foods you can just forget about me even looking at it if the expiration date has passed. I've been better since I got married and found myself too poor at times to be picky, but I am still annoyingly crazy about this subject.

3. Pickles are an interesting food for me. When I was a kid, I loved pickles and ate them right out of the jar. Then, when I was an older kid and teenager, I hated pickles so much that I refused to eat them at all. Finally I grew out of it, and now I love pickles again (although not so much on their own).

4. Along with #3 goes the fact that I absolutely HATE sweet pickles. I will only eat dill.

5. I hate the smell of vinegar. I mean, in salad dressing I'm okay with it, but I can't stand the stuff by itself.

6. When I was a kid and someone would bring cupcakes to school for a birthday party, I'd eat the cupcake and then chew on the paper wrapper like gum to get every last bit of cupcake out.

7. Sometimes, I lick my plate.

8. I very rarely drink milk on its own. I have pretty much switched over to soy milk and I prefer it to regular, and now that I have I'm afraid to drink regular milk because I have this silly feeling that I'm lactose intolerant now or something. I'm afraid I'll get sick if I drink it. This is especially silly because I still eat plenty of ice cream and cheese, so I don't think my worries are very valid.

9. I actually LIKE the macaroni and cheese that comes in the box, even though I know perfectly well that the stuff is probably more chemical than food.

10. I enjoy being vegetarian. Sometimes I think about giving it up because it is too hard, or because of pressure or whatever else. But I really like having a plant based diet. It's exciting for me to come up with new recipes, and I have been forced to try foods that I'd never even thought to cook with before. It's a challenge and a lot of fun. For me, it has been a healthy change and I don't feel deprived or malnourished in any way. I mean look at me...I'm definitely not wasting away :)

Cool, that was fun. I don't know who to tag, so IF YOU JUST READ THIS, you've been tagged and now must do it yourself. :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

ditto for me on #3, 4 and 5. i used to love pickles so much, i'd eat an entire jar and then drink the juice. now i just don't like vinegary stuff very much.

and if you cut out dairy entirely, you WILL become lactose-intolerant - the body isn't really supposed to have the enzyme to digest lactose after weaning from the breast (because it's not normal to drink the milk of another animal!), and if you stop consuming dairy, you'll lose it. so just keep that in mind if that's not a result you want! :)

a stupid little history lesson is that the reason some people of european descent can digest milk at all is because their ancestors forced themselves to drink it so they wouldn't starve. somewhere along the way it just became "normal" to drink milk, and they developed the ability to maintain the enzyme after weaning. so most white people do OK with dairy, although they'll become intolerant again if they stop eating dairy (and dairy intolerance is one of the most commonly un- or misdiagnosed problems people have). but most of the rest of the world do not do OK with dairy. drinking cow's milk is very rare - some people will drink goat's milk, but it's easier to digest anyway. you might consider it if you still want to drink milk.

blah blah blah, who cares anyway? :)

J said...

i am obsessed with the expiration of food too, and will always buy food from the back of shelf because in my mind i think it's expiration is further down the road and also in my head i think it hasn't been handled as much by other customers.

i thought your #6 one was pretty gross. i dunno, just the thought of soggy cupcake paper in my mouth. ewww.

Karen said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is freaked out over food going bad. It is an obsessive thing for me at times, and most people find it highly annoying. At the store, I ALWAYS check dates and pick the item with the longest life left.

And don't judge me because of my wrapper-chewing ways! I was just a wee lass at the time :)

Larissa said...

tcha! you chewed a wrapper yesterday, silly! ;)