Saturday, November 10, 2007

Work

Hey.

Two weeks ago, Dave began his first round of student teaching. He has been working with a 4th grade class and loves it. He and his partner have taught 4 lessons total and they are having a great time. I'm so glad that Dave likes it. I mean, wouldn't it be a little bit of a shame to realize that he hated it now, after deciding to be a teacher? Haha.

So Dave will be doing a total of 3 weeks of student teaching for this semester. This has been a problem with his work schedule at Woodcraft, since he must do the teaching in the morning and that is when work is. Luckily he was able to get these 3 weeks off, but with the company changing ownership and some other recent events, working there any longer didn't seem very feasible anymore, not to mention somewhat depressing. Dave has been looking around at jobs, and applied for a few. He applied at several schools to be a kind of tutor or teaching assistant but these jobs weren't going to be very flexible with the student teaching (it will happen again next semester). He also applied at the testing center at UVSC, where he would be giving students their tests and such. He interviewed for that job last Thursday, and it seemed as though they would be able to work with his schedule.

Well, we got a phone call early Friday morning that gave Dave the good news: UVSC wants to hire him! The money isn't great and I'm sure the job will be wrought with stress at times, but Dave is so excited to work there. I'm happy that he's happy. His main ambition is to have a job where he is working with people, so he should be content there.

I, too, have been searching for a new place of employment. I told myself that I would leave my current job by the end of the semester, even though they keep raising my pay. I just want something new, something to maybe help me work my way up to something else. I mentioned that Dave had an interview last Thursday... and so did I. I applied for a job with the city to work as a scanning clerk in their building. I think the interview went okay, but I can't be certain at this point. I should hear back in a couple of days, I hope. But I must be honest: I've had a surge of hopefulness ever since lunch today, when I received this message in a fortune cookie:

1 comment:

kenna said...

I couldn't teach 4th graders. Nuh uh.

P.S. Karen I tagged you. Check out my blog for the instructions 'n' such.