Sunday, November 18, 2007

So, what happened to Thanksgiving?

It's November 18th.

With the end of Halloween, we have seen a sudden shift of focus from one holiday to another. As soon as the fake cobwebs and costumes and candy left the shelves, another holiday's inventory was readily there to take their place: Christmas.

Wait...Christmas? It's November. Isn't there another holiday--I mean, a really big one--that's supposed to be in November? Yeah, something about turkeys and being grateful and giant feasts and family togetherness?

Oh, right! Thanksgiving!

Unfortunately for Thanksgiving, it can't compete with the "spirit" and major decor theme of Christmas. I mean, you don't see a lot of Thanksgiving decorations, besides your odd turkey or cornucopia. Oh yeah, and Pilgrims. But whatever...like they can even compete with jolly old Santa Claus! It doesn't have its own music (yes, Christmas music is already playing on the radio) or pressure to buy, buy, buy gifts for everyone. But it isn't its fault. As soon as Halloween ends, Christmas takes over--just like that.

Not that I'm one to talk. I may make fun of people who start their Christmas shopping as soon as October 31st is done, but I'll admit that I went out and bought a Christmas tree last week. I may laugh at those who put up their lights at the start of November, but I myself can scarcely contain my desire to decorate the new tree and shop, shop, shop to create stacks of boxes to place beneath said tree. I must, must, MUST contain myself and NOT put the tree up until after Thanksgiving! I mean, doesn't Thanksgiving deserve at LEAST that much consideration from me?

(Yes, even as we speak, I am thinking about where to put the tree in my apartment...)

I am a Holiday Hypocrite.

Well, I'm here to do my part to make the world a more Thanksgiving-friendly place. Happy Thanksgiving! Have some decorations in honor of this awesome (and somewhat overlooked) holiday.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

that drives me crazy too. i hate having all the joy and pleasure of christmas absolutely sucked dry by the time it finally rolls around. and yet, i LOVE IT. i love the music and the tree and the lights and all that crap...how did you buy a tree already? isn't it going to die?

Karen said...

....it's fake :( We figured it was more economical this way. It's just a little one, for the time we're in an apartment. But believe me, I seriously prefer real trees to the fake ones any day. Ahh, that smell!

Unknown said...

it surely is more economical. we're going to buy a potted tree this year, so you're welcome to come over and smell ours any time. :) oh, and i just thought of a great present for you.